Sunday, February 25, 2007

Thriller Idol

Up front, I have to be clear on one thing: I do not watch American Idol.

OK, I have been known to check it out once or twice during the corny nationwide search episodes, and I have been known to watch a few of the final episodes when they're close to announcing the winner. And yes, I have watched a few in the middle, but I am far from a fanatic.

Still, I always thought it was cool when they brought in true "superstars" to be mentors for the contestants, like Barry Manilow and Stevie Wonder and people like that. (Did I make up Stevie Wonder? It's possible. See? I told you I didn't watch it that often.)

However, I just read something I can't quite believe: Michael Jackson may be a guest judge/mentor this season.

What? So, in other words, you can be an accused child molester, admit on national television that you like to "sleep with children," nearly drop your own child over the balcony in a foreign country, have enough plastic surgery to truly look like you have no nose and no skintone, yet still be held up as a national model for young singers?

If my kids were old enough to watch Idol - which they're not - I don't know if I'd let them watch that episode. And as for my passing interest, I'm definitely changing the channel that night.

I'm all for reform, and giving people a second chance, but seriously, with the exception of his Thriller days, everything this guy has done in recent memory has given me the creeps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ditto. He gives me the creeps, too. And I was a HUGE fan back in the day. He's not only creepy, though. I'd venture to say he's nuts. He calls his kid "Blanket." Blanket! What kind of a name is that?