Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My New Priority

I've been having a tough time with priorities lately. What should be my top priority? My job? My first child? My second child? My husband? My car with the squeaking brakes? My cat who was just diagnosed with diabetes and needs two insulin shots a day?

Or, heaven forbid... me?

I've always been lousy at putting myself first. Since I got married and had kids I've gotten even worse. When I'm shopping I always hesitate to buy something for myself unless its on sale, but will eagerly buy $45 shoes at Stride Rite for my 13 month old who will outgrow them in a matter of weeks. I put off getting my hair cut or going out with my friends until I"m certain my husband is taken care of, the kids have been fed, etc. etc.

My friends and I have talked about this and we all agree: something about being a mom makes you a martyr. Not to say that Dads can't do the same thing - I know my husband can be Super Martyr when he wants to be - but Moms generally seem to be overburdened with the Martyr gene.

Don't get me wrong - I have no regrets. I do miss the days when I had time for yoga class, drinks with friends after work, and was able to see a movie or go to a new restaurant whenever I wanted. But when I sit down and really think about it, it's an easy trade. A night of Lincoln Logs and Thomas the Tank Engine - interspersed with the occasional discussion about Buzz Lightyear - not only leaves me enough cash for the next trip to Stride Rite, it's much more fun.

So I guess I have changed. But like everyone I still need something for myself, and that's where this blog comes in. I'm not sure I'll be as faithful as some of the regular bloggers out there, but I'll do my best. So stay tuned...

No comments: