Monday, February 26, 2007

I'm Stumped

Anyone know any secrets to teaching your kid that it's time to stop wearing diapers? I don't.

This whole potty training experience has turned into a disaster. My son now shrieks every time we bring him near the commode, suggest he use the potty, or even talk about it in generalities.

In fairness we haven't been at this for long, but we've tried just about everything: bribes only lead to his affinity for M&Ms and Cadbury eggs but don't really work because we give in and give them to him anyway, soaking his hand in warm water was fun at first but now that he's figured out what we're doing he'll have none of it, and the "You're a big boy now," line falls flat on him.

And in case you're wondering, dragging him in kicking and screaming doesn't seem to work either. Believe me, I've tried.

A few people today have suggested we "hold off for while," and pick it back up in a couple of weeks. But while I'd like nothing more than to throw in the towel on this, quitting doesn't seem right either.

Doesn't that give my 3.5-year-old the upper hand? Won't the lesson from this be that if he shrieks loud enough he can his way and/or get out of anything? Won't the debate over vegetables and the disputes over sharing his toys turn into screamfests?

I'm completely stumped on this one. Anyone have any suggestions?

3 comments:

Gina said...

I've no real advice . . . but lots of empathy. I hate potty training. LOATHE IT. DESPISE IT. If I could pay someone to do it for me, I would. In fact, when Jack was a toddler I frequently offered babysitters generous bonuses if they could manage to potty train my stubborn child in my absence. It was such a frustrating experience, and I'll admit one that occasionally resulted in tears. (My tears.) Like you, I'd tried everything, but nothing seemed to work. Stickers? He didn't care. Bribes of a trip to the toy store. "I've got enough toys already, Mom." Once I bought this flashy child's watch with a bright blue plastic band and a digital race car in the face. It was cool. And Jack was intrigued. He wanted it. Bad. I kept it on the counter near the potty where he could see it. The deal was keep your pants dry for a day and it's yours. One night at dinner, about a week into the whole "enticement with the watch ploy", I casually asked Jack if he wouldn't like to wear that watch one day soon. And he oh so casually responded that the watch no longer existed. Baffled I peered over my shoulder at the counter, and sure enough it was gone. Jack informed me that he "just wasn't ready touse the potty", so he'd thrown the watch in the garbage. Days ago. So that was the end of the watch. Glad I only paid $5 for it at KMart. Eventually he figured out the whole potty thing. But I'd be lying if I said it was easy. Chloe, on the other hand, potty trained herself at 2.5 years. I'm dreading introducing the potty to Casey. Maybe I can bribe Chloe to teach him.

Anonymous said...

What I did with my daughter was show her the last pack of diapers and told her that we couldn't buy any more because she was too old for them and they wouldn't fit her.

I know girls are different, and I did not do the same for my son who was 4 but also mildly autistic and couldn't sense the need to go.

He is now almost 8 and really hasn't had any accidents.

Good luck

David Guarino said...

Is that THE Maggie Pasquale? What could the odds be ... I'm guessing pretty good. If so, shoot me an email, I'd love to catch up - davidguarino2@yahoo.com.