Thursday, February 15, 2007

An Open Invitation to Other Working Moms

Even though I promised myself I would not blog at work, I had a great idea in the middle of the day about how to make this blog even better. Sure, it's only my second day at this, but I'm already pretty certain no one is going to want to just read my ramblings. So I've decided to make this an open blog for other working moms who want to contribute.

So, before I lost my nerve, I took a few minutes to send a note out to every working mom I could think of. I invited friends from around the world, co-workers and relatives to contribute and to encourage others to do the same. Who knows? Maybe I'll get a book out of this someday. Here's what I wrote:

Being a working mom is really, really hard -- at least, for me it is. As nice as it is to put on professional clothes and make up all week, I can't help but think of potty training tricks and recipes that may tempt my toddlers during important meetings. And as nice as it is to hang out with my family at night and on the weekends, I often find my mind wandering back to that big press release I have to write or that big project I just haven't had time to finish. There's never enough time in the day, I never feel like I get enough sleep, and I can't remember the last time I stayed up past 10 p.m.

I change diapers in heels, I buy baby food on my lunch break, I come to work with a variety of fluids (no details needed here) on my suits.

I am, by definition, a working mom.

But I don't have to tell any of you what it means. You're all doing it. Some part time, some full time, some - like Karen - aren't there yet but will be soon.

I'm sending this email to all of you because I've decided to start a blog about this very topic, and I want you - and other women in your lives - to be part of it. I'm starting the Working Mom's Blog, and if you are so inclined, invite you all to submit guest entries to be posted.

Write about whatever strikes you: the weird things people say to you in the office when you're pregnant, the ups and downs of daycare, the crazy things your kids do and say, the guilt over how nice it can be to come to work on monday mornings ... (I plan to hit that one soon)... whatever strikes you. I plan to keep the blog updated and will contribute myself regularly, but I would love to include a variety of voices.

I started the blog last night so it's nothing great yet, but let me know if you'd like to contribute. With your help - and the help of others you pass this on to - I think this could turn into something really interesting.

So check it out:
http://workingmomsblog.blogspot.com/ -- and if you want to contribute, send your entry to me at heidi.guarino@gmail.com

No comments: